One of the hallmarks of design-build project delivery is early knowledge of costs. This course introduces the fundamentals of conceptual estimating and how to go about assessing risk and calculating costs before design is complete. (6 CEUs)
At the end of the course students will be able to:
- Describe the role of the estimator in design-build
- Describe the various influences affecting building costs
- Describe the various types of estimates
- Describe how estimates are organized using standard estimating formats
- Explain how to use an estimating manual
- Describe how unit prices are developed
- Explain the fundamental concepts of value engineering
- Explain how to manage and control costs throughout the design process
- Describe the various checks and balances needed to ensure the reliability of the estimate
In the case of DBIA Certification Workshops in particular, this full engagement is critical. Full attendance at the workshop is a requirement for those seeking certification. As such, the following is required for those joining the classroom virtually:
- You MUST have video/camera capability on the computer you will be using;
- You MUST keep your video/camera on during the entirety of the training (you may turn it off during breaks and lunch). Each participant is expected to be visible as a class participant throughout the training, just as it would be if you were physically in the classroom;
- Please find a quiet location that will have minimal distractions/disturbances;
- Please Mute your microphone when you are not speaking; and
- Remain in the virtual classroom during class activities as they, too, will take place virtually and you are expected to participate.
DBIA instructors and staff will actively monitor your attendance and reserve to right to decline issuance of a certificate of completion should virtual attendees not actively participate based on the rules above.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact Education@dbia.org.
Owner Member: $275
Owner Non-member: $375
Practitioner Member: $375
Practitioner Non-Member: $675
Schedule: April 14, 2020